FLITCH GREEN

TIME THROUGH HISTORY

Sugar Beet Factory

In 1997 planning permission was granted to build up to 810 houses on the site of the Felsted Sugar Beet works, originally opened in 1926 and operating until 1981 for the production of sugar and 1991 for storage and warehouse distribution.
  The development principles of the site, named Oakwood Park, were established in master plans approved in 1997 following various public consultations. The initial plan defined sites within an area of 20 hectares for a total of 650 dwellings taking into account the surrounding areas and the need for a 350 meter cordon sanitaire between the development and the sewerage works located in the nearby parish of Felsted. Development commenced in 2001.  

In the course of construction one million cubic meters of soil was excavated and 50 acres of land suitable for housing development created. Enodis Property Developments were responsible for the management of the development and ensuring that any contaminants from the original manufacturing facilities were dealt with appropriately.

AND THIS IS WHERE
IT ALL STARTS 

1926
Flitch Green 

1976
Sugar Beet Factory 

1999
Factory Demolished 

FELSTED 1928

Use the Left and Right arrows and lets go back in time through Felsted.


In April 2009 Oakwood park had establish and elected it's own Parish Council who worked tirelessly on behalf of the residents to ensure that all promised benefits and facilities promised by the developers were delivered and built in areas accessible to the community. Amongst other tasks the naming of the Parish and building development was overseen by the Parish Council and the village of Flitch Green came into being in 2009.  


Flitch Green commemorates the association of the area with the famous Flitch Trials which can be traced back to the twelfth century and winners officially recorded as long ago as 1445. The trials are believed to be unique in awarding the victors who can prove marital harmony a "Flitch" of bacon. With each trial comes amusement, entertainment, renewed community spirit and another piece of history.

The Parish is bounded by the Flitch Way. The Flitch Way is a designated Country Park around the disused railway line between the nearby towns of Braintree and Bishops Stortford managed by Essex Country Parks and is an area of outstanding natural beauty.

WHERE TO GO NEXT